Revive the Peace
News of Interest
The Coalition for Peace, Revolution, and Social Justice(CPRSJ) aims to resist capitalism, imperialism, and authoritarianism in the Trump era. We are helping to develop a thoughtful, multidimensional, and proactive opposition to the intensifying authoritarianism that has become evident around the globe, as exemplified by Donald Trump in the U.S., Vladimir Putin in Russia, and Xi Jinping in China. We oppose NATO and U.S. imperialism because they underpin capitalist-militarist hegemony around the globe. In general, we target rampant class oppression, imperialism, racism, sexism, heterosexism, nativism, Islamophobia, and environmental destruction.
Domestically, we resist Trump’s absurd and deranged proposals to build a vast border wall with Mexico, deport millions of people, broaden the prison-industrial complex and police powers in the name of law and order, cut tens of millions off from healthcare access, further deregulate the economy, suppress climate science, and greatly expand U.S. military and nuclear capabilities. We note that Trump is in sync with neofascist movements in Europe, especially in France, Austria, the UK, and Hungary.
In contrast to liberals who oppose Trump on the basis of the neoliberal politics of Clinton and Obama, we believe that the problems facing us lie in the very structure of contemporary capitalism.
In contrast to the authoritarian left, we oppose and organize against the machinations not only of U.S. imperialism and its subimperialist allies like Israel and Saudi Arabia, but also those of Russian imperialism and of subimperialist powers like Iran. Thus, we oppose the Israeli occupation of Palestine, Saudi Arabia’s barbarous war on the people of Yemen, and the untold brutality of Assad’s suppression of the Syrian Revolution, which has been abetted by Russia, Iran, Hezbollah, and other Shi’a militias.
In the U.S., we support issues and movements like Black Lives Matter, women’s rights, climate and environmental justice, a living wage, the rights of immigrant labor, struggles of Indigenous peoples for autonomy and liberation, healthcare for all, and full rights for transgender people.
Our class politics recognizes the fundamental importance of an affirmative and liberatory/humanist alternative to capitalism and the unity of all working people across national borders on the basis of international solidarity.
Our principles of unity follow:
1. We strive for the firmest unity of working people in the U.S. across racial and ethnic lines, and across rural/urban and regional divides, together with all those who oppose capitalism’s inhumanity on the basis of affirming Black liberation, women’s rights, LGBTQIA rights, immigrant rights, prisoners’ rights, and climate/environmental justice.
2. We note the specific detrimental role of white supremacy in U.S. history as a factor in undermining working-class unity. We also note that African Americans have been in the forefront of progressive and revolutionary movements throughout the history of this country.
3. We proclaim the underlying importance of class analysis and anti-authoritarianism in our theory and practice.
4. We oppose all forms of imperialism, including the U.S. and NATO’s military interventions in the Middle East, Latin America, Asia, Africa and elsewhere, even if under the guise of humanitarianism.
5. We hold the growing influence of Trump and Putin and the growth of neofascist movements in Western Europe to be key manifestations of the increasingly authoritarian direction of global capitalism.
6. We oppose terrorism, whether state-sponsored types such as that of the Syrian regime, or the terrorism of organizations such as ISIS, the Ku Klux Klan, and fascist groups. Instead, we call for people to people solidarity with those who oppose both fundamentalist terrorism and authoritarian regimes.
7. We envision a liberatory/humanist social movement opposed to capitalism, imperialism, and militarism that equally opposes reactionary regimes that happen to be at odds with the U.S.
8. We believe that power must be devolved to the people through grassroots democracy and that democracy without social justice is meaningless.
9. We do not consider authoritarian states that have claimed to be socialist or communist to be models of socialism or democracy in any sense. We strive instead for real human emancipation.
10. We uphold the principles of internal democracy and transparency in our own efforts, and commit ourselves to these ends.
We invite other organizations and individuals who share these views to join this coalition.
Initial conveners include the following socialist and anarchist organizations:
Alliance of Syrian and Iranian Socialists
Black Rose/Rosa Negra Anarchist Federation-Los Angeles
International Marxist-Humanist Organization, West Coast Chapter
Socialist Party, Los Angeles Local
Members of Solidarity: A Socialist, Feminist, Anti-Racist Organization, Los Angeles Branch
RPM has not taken any position on this new formation